NEW ULM - A 38-year-old Worthington woman who pleaded guilty to felony kidnapping and gross misdemeanor terroristic threats last month was ordered to serve another 60 days in jail Tuesday in Brown County District Court.
An earlier restitution claim of $101,000 by Walmart against Elisheba J. Swett was withdrawn and re-set at $585.58 for employee's lost wages. Charges stem from a June 2012 incident at the New Ulm Wal-Mart Supercenter.
After she was released last month after sentencing, Swett was jailed last week for probation violations including missing an appointment with her probation agent and interstate transfer.
Prosecuting attorney Josh Steinbrecher of New Ulm said Swett is also subject to the predatory offender registration program with the BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension).
"Kidnapping and terroristic threats are very serious charges," Judge Robert Docherty said to Swett Tuesday at the court hearing. "You were sentenced Oct. 16 and simply disappeared."
Docherty reinstated Swett's original probation terms that included 20 years supervised probation, completing a chemical use assessment and psychological evaluation and following all recommendations, having no contact with victims and all Wal-Mart stores, registered as a predatory offender as required by law, participating in victim/offender mediation if appropriate or writing an apology letter and submitting to probation for approval.
According to the complaint, New Ulm Police responded to Wal-Mart at 6:25 p.m. on June 14, 2012 after a caller said a store employee was being forced from the store by a female suspect, later identified as Swett. The caller said Swett claimed to have planted a bomb in the store and had a detonator in her pocket, according to the complaint.
The store employee said Swett used her as a "human shield," forcing her through the parking lot.
Witnesses said Swett released the woman when police arrived. She resisted arrest briefly before she was taken into custody and transferred to the Brown County Jail.
Police evacuated the store, searched it and found no bomb. Customers were allowed back in the store at about 8:30 p.m.
Police observed the entire sequence of events on Wal-Mart's video surveillance system, which matched accounts given by store employees.