NEW ULM - Team 5 took the top prize at the B&L Classic on Monday at the New Ulm Country Club.
Team 5, headed by Randy Paa, shot a 124 - two strokes under Team 13 - to take the $550 first-prize payday.
"Everybody played really well today," Paa said. "We had a few holes that were a lot better than the rest of them, but no one got too excited and everybody kind of played their own game."
Staff photo by Steve Muscatello
The winning team of the B & L Golf Classic was from left: Bob Fisch, Cliff Woodbury, Don Olson, Jeff Wesselmann and Randy Paa.
For more photos of this event go to cu.nujournal.com
The Classic, formerly known as the Kaiserhoff Championship, offered a total payout of $2,160 divided among the six top-finishing teams. However, seven teams took home prize money since Team 17 and Team 12 tied with a 133 in the sixth-place slot.
Team 13, which was led by Dan Janke, took home a prize of $450 for its second-place finish.
Playing alongside Paa was Cliff Woodbury, Don Olson, Jeff Wesselmann and Bob Fisch - all of whom are members of the New Ulm Country Club. Paa said his team's familiarity with the course only helped, especially with the absence of humidity in the sub-70-degree day.
"This was a perfect playing day," Wesselmann said. "The fairways and everything looked good out there. [The course has] still got the bad spots on some of the greens, but everybody had to deal with that."
1. Team 5 (Randy Paa, Cliff Woodbury, Don Olson, Jeff Wesselmann, Bob Fisch) - 124
2. Team 13 (Dan Janke, Lou Geistfeld, Mike Wise, Dean Risius, Troy Sowder) - 126
3. Team 1 (Tom Fenske, Brad Johannes, Jim Senske, Gary Zimdahl, Elmer Epke) - 130
4. Team 14 (Jim Otto, Mike Maloney, Jim Schmidt, Charlie Zangl, Tom Schaefer) - 130
5. Team 9 (Dick Price, Doug Bode, Daryl Mosenden, Carl Paa, Bruce Savoy) - 132